Name:
Location: India

I am me.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Freaky Friday - What's in a Name?

This world is a happy place … It’s Friday you see!
I think it’s funny how Friday has almost always been important in my life.
We used to have ‘He-Man and the Masters of the Universe’ on Friday when I was younger and life was a rollercoaster.(Then, life happened)
I attended my last lecture in school on a Friday as well. (It was Hindi).There’ve been so many instances where, by either coincidence or deliberation, Friday has been responsible for bringing about a change of mood in me.
I just remembered … Daniel Defoe named the tribal on Robinson Crusoe’s island as Friday as well !
I suppose that was only deliberation. I mean, who, in their right mind, would name a character Monday or Tuesday? I know Wednesday is a character as well in The Addams Family but it just doesn’t … cut it.

This takes me back to an episode of Seinfeld where George Castanza(Can’t Stand ‘ya Hehe) wanted to name his son 7.

I believe, without an ounce of doubt, that some of the best names are those of Muslims and Parsis. The phonetic arrangement is such that anyone who gets a hang of the dialect can pronounce the word with an ease rarely found in other languages.
Incidentally, Mohammed also happens to be the most common name in the world. Oh, and if you’re thinking Aseem is a Muslim name then you have another thought coming. It’s actually a Hindu name. I think people tend to confuse it with Wasim.

I’ve currently residing in Pune with 3 very special people. The hitch, though, is their names.
Take Shantanu Rathore or Saint Anu, as I like to call him, for instance … I think it’s a scary coincidence that his name has ‘Shant’ in it. And it’s also hilarious that Rathore rhymes with Bhor!

Abhinav’s always reminded me of JHArkhand, or JHA re JHA oh harjai, JHAneman etcetera.

Anmol Dhand becomes Dhandva. It also rhymes with Pakhand!!!

I, off course, have had a zillion distortions done to my name. I think Rathore has the complete list.

mAGgi, Kill Gill, Gill vil Pyar Vyar, Afeem and the latest addition … Haseem.

I know Shakespeare said, “What’s in a Name?” but I guess he just did not know enough now did he? Haha ...

HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH @ Shantanu ! He knows what I’m referring to.

Anyway, It is time for me to depart for lunch … Pasta awaits me.

Happy Weekend
Aseem

2 Comments:

Blogger Rajesh Roshan said...

Cool Piece. Have a Nice weekend.
Cheers
Rajesh Roshan

May 30, 2008 at 2:16 AM  
Blogger The Artful Dodger said...

Rajesh Roshan? Who might you be?
A jolly good weekend to you too.

May 30, 2008 at 2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home